Wednesday, September 30, 2009

September 2, 2009
Hello, hello, hello!
Well the Manaus Mission is really different. I am just trying to make the best of it. The missionaries aren´t very obedient and they work really slow. So I spent the last week really praying to know what I should do because I am a zone leader. There is not much I can do because it's not that the missionaries break the rules it's just that the rules are not enforced here. 'So whenIi got here I would say things and the people would just get mad... but it's because the missionaries have not been trained to keep the rules. 'So I prayed a lot about it and why I was sent to this mission .... "What was it that the Lord wants me to learn?" The first thing that came to my mind was my gratitude for Pres. Milder and how he really pushed us to be molded into mature young representatives of the Lord. I still think back to when I first started to understand Pres. Milder. He was in front of our Zone Conf. teaching us. He always spoke with a load voice almost as if he was yelling at us or he was mad at us. He was a military man. He was up in front telling us how a member went up to him and said how much she loved the missionaries because they are so funny and always joke around with us. He looked at us and said "Jesus Christ was not a clown". If you want to be a clown you can go home because I will not have clowns in my mission! He was a seargant in the military so everything we did was organized and on time. I think I have changed so much in my mission because of Pres. Milder. I will probably come home different. The same Jared, but just more mature. I really noticed the difference when I arrived here. I feel like the other missionaries are still little boys. I feel like a scout leader at a scout camp. Now I understand why just because you're a returned missionary doesn't mean your´re a great person. I am just being an example here in the mission. Some of the other missionaries are starting to follow. In this last week I have really come to know how aware the Lord is of me and the things I find difficult. I find him giving me answers to my prayers and always giving me strength to be patient. It's amazing how the Lord shows his love for me by catching my attention in the scriptures I read, in the music I hear, in the Ensign and many other forms. It is his way of showing his love and concern for my needs. I love my Savior and know he is so aware of the things I need to do his work. Whether it be giving me strength or strengthening my investigators. He truely loves me and is always standing next to me to give me strength. "I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me." I have also been thinking a lot lately about something Sister Dalton taught. (She is my girl!) She taught something about her sign... A white Rose, to remid her to be pure. I was walking down the road and thinking if I could choose something to be my sign what would it be. The only thing I could think of was .... of course the SUN! As I thought about the sun, I came up with a list of what the sun reminds me of. Why it's important to me. First, it gives warmth. Which reminds me to always be warm and friendly to everyone. Pres. Monson said, "They need to hear a good word. They need a friendly smile. They need a warm expression of true love." It reminds me that if I am smiling or saying hello to everyone I meet I am giving warmth to others. Second, it gives light. 3 Nephi 12 :14-16 14"Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. 15 Behold, do men light a candle and put it under a bushel? Nay, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house; 16 Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven. The light of Christ is what will help other people of other faiths understand that this is the true church. I was teaching lots of people from other churchs and they don't understand the message of the restoration very well, but they can see the light in us. Kerolainy also said something to me about this, how she always feels good in the missionaries presence. Third: It is steadfast. When you think about the sun; it doesn't move. Which reminded me of the scripture, Mosiah 5: 15 "Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works, that Christ, the Lord God omnipotent, may SEAL YOU HIS, that you may be brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life, through the wisdom, and power, and justice, and mercy of him who created all things, in heaven and in earth, who is God above all. Amen." This reminded me of many things, but also my main goal in life. A goal that is sacred to me. Fourth: Its celestial. In Doctrine and Covenants 88:18 it says; "Therefore, it must needs be sanctified from all unrighteousness, that it may be prepared for the celestial glory;" reminding me to live my life sanctified from all unrighteousness. By doing this I will be prepared to live in the Celestial Kingdom. And last of all, the word "the sun" reminds me of "The Son" which reminds of one of my favorite scriptures.
3 Nephi 27 :27 "Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am." And also reminds me of a great Primary Song. "I´m trying to be like Jesus." Whenever I am hot and sweaty in this hot Brazilian sun, I think of how fortunate I am to have the gospel in my life. Also the joy it brings to me to share the gospel with others. "I´ll share my Saviors love, in serving others freely. In serving I am blessed. In giving I receive. He knows I will follow Him. Give all my life to him. I feel my Saviors love, the love he freely gives me." This Sat. we will blessed with six wonderful baptisms! I am so Excited! I am just going to work my hardest until the end. I love this work. Love Elder Perry
ps Well, it looks like just Trent felt the spirit say to him . . . "wow its been a while since I´ve written Jared."

No comments: