Wednesday, September 30, 2009

September 23, 2009
Hello family,
I am glad you guys think its great for me to suffer. JK. Really I just know that after the mission I will always remember the great things about my mission. I know I won't remember this transfer but will only be left stronger. Thats how I feel about my last tough transfer. I don't remember the feelings of frustration, but I know I grew stronger in the transfer. When I was training Elder Pereira, I remember feeling weak, frustrated, and discouraged. I left that transfer with a greater love for Elder Pereira, also more patient, I also had a greater understanding for God's love for all of his children. Maybe that prepared me well to go and work hard with Elder Newby because I had grown in faith and was then ready for the task the Lord was asking of me. I know I am in the same situation. I know I will not remember how I am feeling right now, I will just become stronger, maybe a little better prepared to do something the Lord asks of me. The Lord prepares us, and when he is preparing us, we might not always like it, but afterward we´ll understand his ways. It's like the talk by Sister Dalton in the last CES fireside. She talked about a young pioneer girl. The little girl was tired and sometimes wanted to give up. When Brigham Young sent people to help this hand cart company, they let the old people get into the wagons to ride to salt lake. The pioneer girl decided to run behind these wagons with hope that they would let her get in the wagons for a ride. She ran behind the wagons with many other kids, but one after another, the others stopped running. When she was the only one left, the man asked her if she wanted to get into the wagon for a ride. The man grabbed her hand and made her run until she couldn´t run anymore. Then he put her in a blanket and put her in the wagon. If the man did not force her to run, she most likely would have given up and frozen to death. The lord will sometimes ask us or force us to run before he gives us what we want. We may not understand why he is asking us to run, but need to trust in the Lord. And just like this little girl, I´ll run anyway! This last week, we marked a baptism with Elizany. She is a members sister. So you can probably imagine how excited the member is to see her sister prepare to be baptized. There is also a littler boy who keeps coming to play soccer at the church. Last night when I saw him, I started talking to him. I tried to show interest in him, show that I have noticed he has never come to church, but that we want him there. While I was doing this I felt that he will be baptized and also serve a mission. His name is Jonatis. He is Thalyson and Fabricios friend. (my recent converts.)
Oh I forgot! Here is a good story. Well here in the Manaus Mission, we have couples. Like old missionary couples. Well at zone conference I sat next to one of them at lunch. There names are Elder and Sister Hall. This couple lives in Arizona. He was talking to me about how he had served in Brazil and how he was trying to learn Portuguese again. PAlso how his wife was learning portuguese. He told me more about his mission. When he was telling me this, I had a random thought pop into my head. " You should ask him he knows Brother Dunn?" I did and to my surprise he purked up and said right back . . . "Mike Dunn!" I said yes and he and his wife both got really excited. Elder Hall told me how they had served together, here in Brazil. Then Sister Hall told me how it was Mike who set Elder and Sister Hall up on a blind date! Isn´t that funny? You should talk to the Dunns to tell them I met The Halls. I really am so thankful to the lord and his love he has for me. I´ll continue running!
I love you guys so much.
Elder Perry

No comments: