Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hey friends,
Yes, I am in the jungle now.... Elder jungle boy Perry. Send letters and other stuff to this address
Rua Loris Cordovil, 1066. Alvorada 1
Manaus/AM. 69043-010
Brazil
If you sent something in the last month . . . I prob. wont get it so send it again!Elder Perry

Hello!
Wow Dad! My companion and I died laughing when we read your letter! It's always so great to know that JOEY CHESTNUT won the hot dog eating contest for the third year in a row!!!!! Your kidding me! Joey! Joey! Joey!
It was sad to hear about Sister O'dell. I actually think about Tommy a lot. I usually think about my friends who aren't serving missions and how much we need their help here and what they are missing out on.
Oh my gosh! I have the funniest story for you! I wanted to crawl into a hole and die! So we have an investigator named Janette. She is a little nervous to be baptised, but her daughter is going to be baptised on Sunday. So here we are preparing to teach her. So you need to imagine it all. We we sitting on her front porch to teach her. She gave me a chair to sit on. I grabbed the chair put it into the postition to sit on. Little did I know I had put my chair on the edge of the porch. The back two legs of the chair fell off the edge of the porch and of course the chair toppled over . . . the fact is... that I didnt see that the chair had fallen. So you already know what is going to happen so let me just explain it from my point of view. (I am laughing so hard just writing about this.) So I went to sit down and wam! I fell of the front porch into mud (it was only a few inches so I didn't get hurt.) I just remember looking up at my companion, with my arms and legs in the air like a dead dog. Janete started screaming! Elder Windley´s eyes just got all huge and then he started laughing (he was my companion in the MTC so this stuff is normal to him!) I just roll out of it and stood up. It was my punishment for laughing at my English teacher at Snow College. Now I know how hard it is to fall and then keep trying to teach! It was just so hard to pull myself together after that and still try and teach. I´ll write Carolynn a letter about this and she´ll die laughing!
So last week our baptisms fell through. There was some serious Mormon trash talk done with the people we were preparing for baptism. This week we are still working hard to baptise. We have two dates marked for this Sunday. Two girls. Janettes daughter, we are hopeing Janette will feel the spirit and follow the example of her daughter. And a girl named Cristiani. A girl in the branch... Jennifer found Cristiani and invited her to church. Jennifer and some other girls from the primary went knocking on doors and invited people to church and they found Christiani and now she is going to be baptised and her Mom is visiting the church as well! That should totally go to "The Friend." I think I will take a picture, write the story and send it to "The Friend." We found some great familys to teach. They are all excited to go to church this week. It is so hard to baptise entire families together here because nobody is married. Satan is becoming super clever. The parents of these family are not married, but the kids want to be baptised.
As for being in Manaus . . . nothing has changed . . . yet. I just feel abandoned. We are just here without much information. The transfer will be hard for a little while, but will get better. We just went a week or so without money ! The assistants don't call as much as the others did . . . it will just have changes that I´ll just have to accept, ya know!
I love You all so much,
Elder Perry

No comments: